Monday, March 27, 2017

The Adult Tree House

So the work has begun on the greenery at the house and I'm more excited than ever to get my hands dirty knowing the original owner Annie, was just as eager being a horticulturalist and master planter. At least that is what I hope as I still have to confirm at the county office in Riverhead NY by researching the deeds and ownership trail. However, as winter mixes with spring it becomes a cold wet mess out there which brings work to a halt because I can't track mud in the house. Seth would have my head on a platter.

In the meantime I am entertaining myself on my      day off with one of my favorite activities since we moved in - weather watching. We have a partially finished third floor which was once a walk up attic. I call it the "tree house". Its a great place to watch the sunset and a relaxing place to just be in silence. It really is a magical place. The wild life is returning in the form of huge robins, blue jays and unidentified black birds which were bathing and making a splash in our bird baths. I feel like I am in a wildlife conservatory. Now if you read my earlier post I think I mentioned that during my research I discovered that this land was once a private hunting and fishing almost park like area in North Babylon for the original owners and founders of the land and surrounding areas which are now West Babylon, North Babylon, Babylon, West Islip and even possibly Lindenhurst. As far as I know it could have been more but from what I read they're land definitely stretched through different towns. That is how much land these founding families owned and controlled during the late 1800's to early 1900's. Maybe even longer I am still digging. On to my point, I am pretty confident the birds, rabbits and plants have been living here way before we have and they've never left due to the very old trees that line the streets of the poet section - many of which are original whether native or planted and this has been their home since. The wildlife was ironically fostered and nurtured as a result of the land restrictions to the public for private hunting use. That is my theory.


We had some guests from out of town stay the weekend with us and they decided to lay back and relax and I thought it was a great idea. We love this house and we love to share it with others. It makes anyone who enters feel happy and welcome. They love it as much as we do and we love that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment